Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Thanjavur Marathi Story ( Kahaani)

We all as children were told stories by our grand moms. My grandmother used to mix the food/ mostly dinner in a large vessel and have us sit in a circle  while she gave us waran bhath, saar bhath and dahi bhath in our hands, in little handfuls. The dahi bhath would have a little sambar to " thond layangala". ( What a forgotten ritual this has become. Today we sit with our children and grandchildren and watch TV while absently, mechanically transporting food into our mouths. 
There is no romance of a story or a " Aaji Kahaani saanga" Aaji is also watching TV, that too addicted to her show! Well, I guess that is the advent of technology. There is no 'kahaani' even before and after the meals since we are all busy texting!
Anyway, here I wish to take you all to those days when we noticed the moon and stars, sat under the night sky on hot summer days in a circle with our brothers/sisters/ cousins during holidays while aaji " kaalivun ghaatle".
On cold winter days the meal would finish with " doodh bhaat" Rice mixed with milk and sugar as 'dahi' would be cold.
She would regale us with stories told in Marathi.
I would like to share some of these stories told in Marathi with my readers.

I do not remember too many but let me share whatever I do remember.




No comments:

Post a Comment